Before and After Silence
In a world of more and more sound, silence is becoming more valuable. Before and After Silence is about limitations and listening, and about doing almost nothing. It is non-verbal and uses silence as its starting point. It is about shifting the point of view from “what is” to “what is not”, about shifting the focus from “the sounds” to “the spaces between the sounds”, from “the actions” to what is “between the actions”, and to “what is not done”. Rather than playing characters, we examine how we look at ourselves and how different filters can change how we see ourselves and others. We ask you to explore that silence, and to see if you can shape it. Seek to use silence as the point of origin for your actions, or as the thing that surrounds your actions. You should attempt to exercise restraint and to nothing until you have to let it go.
Credits & Contact
- Written by
- Matthijs Holter and Fredrik Hossman
- Ashleigh La Porta and Laura Boylan
- Game Contact
- Saturday, September 15, 8:00 pm
- Suite B
- 4 hours
- 6-12 [0 female, 0 male, 6-12 player-defined, 0 other]
- Age Requirements
- Physical Requirements
- Standing for long periods, Vision
- Content Warnings
- Each player will interact with the game's silence in a different way, determined by a card they draw which describes their reality. Some cards contain content that you may not wish to engage with, but if your card contains something you don't want to play, you can draw another without judgment. Finally, we will contact the players beforehand and allow them to veto anything they don't want to see in the game at all. The cards (in total) contain the following topics: Child abuse Sex work Sexually transmitted infections Sexual abuse Death Medical complications Imprisonment Sexual activity Gender dysphoria
- Physical Contact Rules
- This game will be using the Be-Con default physical contact rules.
- Safety Mechanics
- This game will be using the Be-Con default safety mechanics.
- Food in use
- No food is used in this larp.